Let’s say your home has a metal roof or you are considering purchasing one. Metal roofing is an expensive investment that offers many benefits including durability and long-term performance. If it isn’t done properly, metal roofing can fail and need to be replaced.
What does it mean? It is cleaning and maintaining your roof.
1. A metal roof’s lifespan can be extended by cleaning it regularly. Like any other household or outdoor item, a metal roof’s lifespan can be extended by regular cleaning. Regular cleaning is important for metal roofs in Florida. It helps to maintain their durability. This helps remove any debris that might affect the substrate or paint system.
2. Any elements that might have become stuck to the roof can be removed by cleaning. These elements could include:
- Small sticks and small leaves
- Airborne dirt
- Mildew and mold
- Pollution particles
- Spore deposits
- Rust stain
- Water stains
- Acid rain.
Some atmospheres, like acid rain and pollution particles, can lead to premature dilapidation in a metallic roofing paint system. How can you tell if your metal roof has begun to deteriorate? Look out for chalking on any metal surface that has been painted or coated.
Remember that the resin of the paint system can be damaged if it is exposed to sunlight and UV rays from Florida. When the roof is exposed to sunlight, oxygen, pollutants and the sun, it begins to loose its connection to the surface. These particles eventually turn whiter and will be visible to the naked eye.
3. A metal roof’s aesthetics can be maintained by cleaning it. A metal roof is expensive and no homeowner wants a dirty or unsightly roof. You want your roof to look great for as long as you can. A simple cleaning once per year is enough.
These are some tips to remember when cleaning and maintaining your metal roofing.
It is important to be aware of what products should not be used by homeowners. A metal roof can be damaged by a variety of cleaning products and chemicals.
Here’s a list with products and tools that you shouldn’t use on your metal roof.
- Wire brushes
- Steel wool
- Paint removers
- Paint thinners
- High-pressure power washers
- Scouring powders.
This post was written by Ted Williams! Ted is the owner of A Old Time Roofing, one of the best roofing companies in Saint Petersburg, FL! Ted is a Master Elite Weather Stopper GAF Roofing Contractor, a double award winner of Best Steep-Slope Contractor from GAF and achiever of Master Elite Consumer Protection Excellence from GAF. He has been serving the Pinellas County area since 1978. Old Time Roofing has a tradition of quality workmanship, servicing residential and commercial properties.