They compare it to tooth extraction, getting lost in the jungle or even worse – getting divorced. It’s all about the removal. This stage of anyone’s life is a pain in the neck that requires patience, lots of soft skills, cash and some spare hands around to help you.
Apparently, though, like in any other difficult situation, removal shouldn’t sound so bad when being planned and approached seriously. The proper chronology of all the tasks ahead is the key to not slipping somewhere on your way to your final destination.
And if you ask the experts, packing is the first thing you should start with. But how to make it efficient to give the moving out a good start? Well, find out in our today’s material full of practical packing tips.
Appoint a Packing Day As Early As Possible
It’s good to mention it once again, so you can understand how important this is: begin with packing and do it right away. Of course, we don’t mean getting your dresses put in a storage unit once your spouse tells you you might move to a bigger place.
Yet, once this place is found, you can start. But don’t rush into this thing. Name a day and make sure to show up at your appointment. Any delays speak of a chaotic approach to the removal, so don’t afford such an attitude at all.
Equip Yourself with The Right Moving Supplies
Packing needs two things: items and more items to put them in. This is how you get the luggage to provide your man and van team.
Indeed, it sounds quite simple and stress-free, but we won’t lie to you. This is not an easy task at all. To make it simpler, equip yourself with proper supplies.
These are the best and most essential packing tools and accessories we’ve met on the market:
- Storage units. You’ve got a big choice here. And it’s up to your luggage volume, particular types of items, course, and budget. We, though, strongly recommend you not to make any savings from the storage units. If your cardboard boxes are unreliable, you might lose much more money by damaging what’s inside them. Also, don’t forget to consider how and in what you will pack the heavy items. You can use big containers or think about some special storage facilities.
- Wrapping items. Use adhesive bandages to safe-proof all storage units and paper towels or ordinary cloths and newspapers to wrap glass items. Moving blankets are fantastic for coating fragile objects like in a bubble wrap pocket.
- Lifting tools. Let’s go back to the heavy items. Among their best house moving tips is the investment in practical accessories such as trailers, sliders, lifting straps, dollies, etc. Most of them can save lots of time as they allow you to carry several items at once.
Pack One, Instead of All or Many Rooms At a Time
Here are some more practical packing tips: avoid wasting any time in vain, and always move out with the thought of how you will move in. In other words, pack one room at a time. When you get to your new home, you will have each storage unit assigned to be unpacked in a concrete room.
Moreover, when you pack while wandering about all the premises in the house, you get into a chaos that’s not time-saving at all. Be consistent. Spend as much time in any room as required so you ensure you do not forget, break or lose something.
Pack Items You Won’t Need Right Away First
Many people are frustrated from the packing day mainly because they don’t know where to start. But there’s a simple and logical answer to this question: start with things you don’t need.
If the removal is scheduled for the next week, you will die from hunger if you pack your kitchen utensils and appliances first.
Conversely, you can survive without your ski equipment and the music records until the day to move out comes. Here’s a hack to remember: pack the things you will need immediately in your new home and place them at the top of the storage unit.
Use Boxes to Their Full Potential
There are many packing tips to save as much room in the moving boxes as possible.
Take the most of these tricks (and your moving supplies) by:
- Place the heavier objects at the bottom of the box while the lighter – is on the top;
- Avoid leaving empty space inside the storage unit to save more room and reduce the risk of scratches while the items are shaking on the road;
- If you keep the original boxes of the electric devices (for the sake of the guarantee requirements), use them with no doubts. The same goes for shoes;
- Put the bathroom and cosmetic items in plastic bags first. Make sure to fill in each bag to avoid movements of the items during which splits can be made.
Have A Box Labeling System
This is among the most crucial packing tips not to forget. Labelling your boxes will save you so many headaches in your first days at the new home place.
Of course, you need a concrete system to follow. There are many ways to mark what each box consists of. If you are going to write on it, on mandatory use a permanent marker to avoid deletion of your labels. You can also try the easy colour scheme – red for makeup, yellow for books, etc.
The best way to reduce the chaos when unpacking is to label the moving boxes with the room they are packed for.
Make Sure To Keep Essentials Packed Separately
First of all, figure out what your essentials are. To some of you, they might be just a pair of clothes and hygienic products to prepare in the removal morning.
Yet, things get a bit more complicated if you have kids and pets. They will need food, favourite toys to cuddle, a neckpiece to be tamed, and you name it.
Keep Inventory To Simplify Your Life
No matter your labelling system, you should remember how it works. But how can you recall where you put those items a week ago? Especially in such a stressful period like the removal?!
Keeping inventory can minimise the risks of forgetting, searching for hours and even some domestic scandals. In a notebook, your inventory list can give you all the answers you need during unpacking.
Book Movers On Time Not To Regret Later
Does everything up to now sound too difficult for you to handle? Then, you do need a man with a van.
Even if you make it to deal with this whole busy packing task, using a professional man and van company is needed when:
- You have no vehicle to carry all these boxes;
- You are not sure you can deal with the loading part;
- You have no idea what’s the best route to take to your new home place;
- You possess fragile items needing expert touch to be packed and delivered.
It’s not rocket science to pack your things and move out. But if you want to move into your new home place peacefully and spend the first night with the job and happy expectations for what’s coming rather than searching for your toothbrush for hours, make packing efficient enough.